This project is read-only.

Roadmap

Dec 15, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Hi,

Are the Issues listed in the Tracker actual issues that were uncovered or are you creating an alternative to a wish list (placeholder)

I would like to get involved actually, start with something relatively simple just to get into coding using .NET 3.5 and C# as opposed

to what I am currently used to.

Angelo

Coordinator
Dec 15, 2010 at 10:43 PM

They are both. Most of the current ones are features for the next release thoug.

Dec 15, 2010 at 10:57 PM
Edited Dec 15, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Well, I installed it at home and got it up and running. Will post the link there later tonight or tomorrow

So at least I can post the Works on My Machine as well and go from there, do let me know if there

is source control mechanism in place or anything in those lines as I would like to add

to the code in some way shape or form.  Of course as you know I am a programmer

but not a seasoned .net one at least not C# so I might well need code revisions to make

sure I follow best practices and what not.

The first thing to do from my end would be a simple installation guide if this was ever intended to be

distrubited to the NOOBS so to speak.

:)

Dec 16, 2010 at 3:06 AM

Ok here it is up and running on my Box at home.

http://24.201.126.250:8021/BlogNet/Main.aspx

Why the filter on the tag names? cannot use anything beyond lowercase alpha?

Coordinator
Dec 16, 2010 at 8:08 AM

Where did you get the code from? For development you should get it from the source control not from the release version. You don't have permissions to commit code into the main repository yet but you can upload a patch that I will later merge into the trunk. I've never seen how Codeplex works in this respect but it will be interesting experiment.

When I was designing the tags I looked at several sites (Slashdot and StackOverflow for example) and it seems like the standard definition of tag is alphanumeric, no whitespace. Some sites (like Codeplex) allow more complex phrases but I decided to stay conservative.

Dec 16, 2010 at 9:19 AM

Ok,

I will look at the source control portion of the project and check out how to plug into it, Codeplex seems to allow two methods for source control, Mercurial and some other one.

Which one did you opt for?

I   am wondering though if this truly is a hybrid version of the Personal Web Pages Kit?

Coordinator
Dec 16, 2010 at 11:52 AM

I am using Subversion. I've not looked into Mercurial support. It seems that support for Mercurial was introduced this year and was not available when I set up the project.

I don't know what Personal Web Pages Kit is:)

Dec 16, 2010 at 12:30 PM
Edited Dec 16, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Hi,

Ok I am surprised that you are not familiar with the .NET starter kits seeing you are working with C# and the .NET framework.  Anyways to make a long story short there was a time and still is where ASP.NET the web site provided several (Starter Kits) including the PWSK (Personal Web Pages Starter Kit)  each one of these starter kits had a dedicated forum where
all parties involved could help advance, customize, get up and running, extend and showcase their workings with the kit.

Here is the resource page for this kit in particular:

http://www.asp.net/downloads/starter-kits/personal

I did allot of work with that kit on my own site way back when, used it as a springboard to go from ASP classic to .NET at the time.

And I moved on to the Club Site Starter Kit which was much more involved and was available in both VB.NET and C#, I added several modules to that kit
and gave the code away freely to whomever wanted it.

Now my main greif with this is that it was all .NET 1.0 and 1.1 and already there has been a major evolution with nnnth layers of abstraction from the data, I personaly
tend to like my SQL prompts and commands but it seems that the direction is to go and add many layers between the actual working code and the back end data engine.

Anyways there you have it, if you were not familiar with the ASP.NET site, I guess that could open a whole new world.

Angelo

Coordinator
Dec 16, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Clicked through the code at random. They use DataSets which I find an awful practice.

Dec 16, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Yes,

You have to remember some of these starter kits were origanilly made in the old days... (old days being relative to the speed of changing technologies). 

Some of the more recent starter kits have much better DAL'S the Club Starter Kit for instance went through many variations and life spans.

Like I said I do like this particular project cause it has room to grow from scratch so to speak.